Monday, August 19, 2013

The Garden of My Heart




I have quite a productive day today.  After the many weeks of downpour,  I spent the whole day gardening and weeding (though I left the mowing of the lawn to the professionals!). 
This garden was established a little more than two years ago.  It was an exciting time.  I got to choose the plants and I had specified the “native” plants as they were supposed to be sturdy and more weather-permitting.  When the land developers had put in the landscaping for the house, I couldn’t believe my eyes! The plants they brought in were tiny, scrawny, and unimpressive.  
Sensing my lack of enthusiasm, the landscaper urged me to “just wait and see.”  Come Spring that year, the scene was spectacular! The native plants bloomed like wild fire!  But oh, the weeds—my heavens, the weeds!

This year, I wrecked havoc to the garden plots!  And to top it all, I must have broken my back bending down turning over the soil!  What hard work!

When weeds grow,  the plants are destroyed and the garden suffers.  Weeds steal the nutrients that help the good plants grow. Weeding is hard work but it is necessary for the plants to grow healthy and disease-free.
My  heart is my garden.  For a good spiritual garden, weeds must be pulled out:  weeds of unforgiveness, self-pity, envy, bad thoughts, rebellion, disobedience, and so forth.
I know for sure that the One who has chosen me to be His own longs to find delight in the garden of my heart.  I will carefully tend it by spending time with the Father in prayer and intimate worship.
"Keep your heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." Proverbs 4:23
Have you done a heart gardening lately? Are you tending your Spiritual garden or do you have some "weeds" still growing in the garden of your heart?  Don’t let it grow wild.  Pull them out now, and let God’s grace cultivate the seeds of  love, righteousness and truth. 

No comments: