- 6 slices of bread (you can use white. I combined three kinds: white, raisin and wheat-- it turned out just as yummy)
- 3 tbsps butter (originally, the recipe calls for 2 but to achieve the custard-like consistency, I have added a bit of butter)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cups white sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon or all-spice
- 1 tsp vanilla
1. Slice bread into squares, set aside.
2. Melt the butter in a small sauce pot, set aside and let it cool.
3. In a large bowl, beat in the eggs and add in the rest of the ingredients. Pour in the sliced bread and mix it well, coating each piece with the egg mixture. Leave in a bowl covered with a towel for at least 30 minutes.
4. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F or 180 degrees C.
5. Pour bread-egg mixture in baking dishes until 1/2 full.
6. Bake in oven for 30-40 minutes until golden brown but turning the dish in between the baking process.
Serve with either prepared cream (condensed milk with cream) or prepared vanilla custard.