Sunday, November 11, 2007

Mama's Uyap....Cardava nga saging ug uyap

(picture taken in an excursion.... boiled bananas and red egg ensalada).


That's a cebuano term translated in Ilonggo as, "Cardava na saging tinanuk kag ginamos". I know, it's a gustatory puzzlement but I grew up eating them with so much zest! I was born in San Carlos City, that's somewhere west of Negros Island fronting Cebu island, and I speak Cebuano fluently. At a tender age, I remember very well the times when I accompanied my Mom to the wet market. She would buy a bunch of either ripe or green cardavas and have it boiled immediately after our trip from the market. I recall that with the bananas was her prepared "uyap" (shrimp paste fried with garlic and pork fat or tulapo). It was so good that I had to make 50 bottles of homemade a couple of christmases ago to give to friends and family.

I almost forgot about this favorite of mine until yesterday. My sister in law brought some boiled cardavas and red egg ensalada at the excursion. Food memories with my mom flashed picturisquely to mind as if it was yesterday. And so, I thought why not revive those memories by cooking my favorite "uyap" the way my mom prepared it. With some cooked ripe bananas, I'm lost in translation! And with the typical ripe mangoes? Ah, I am catching myself drooling at the thought of it.

Recipe for Uyap:

About 1 half block (2-inch x4-inch) of ginamos (shrimp paste)
1/2 kilo of pork fat, cut into cubes, fried until crisp, set aside
chopped garlic
1/2 cup "very sour" local vinegar
1 medium can tomato sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
freshly cracked pepper

In a bowl, mix the "uyap", vinegar and tomato sauce together. Set aside. In a pan, fry the cubed pork fat until crisp (tulapo), set aside. In the same pan, use some of the oil to saute the garlic. Add in the creamed uyap mixture. Stir for 15 minutes. Add in the brown sugar, fried tulapo and some freshly cracked pepper. Serve with the boiled bananas. The rest, cool and keep in clean glass container with lid. Refrigerate.












No comments: