Wednesday, June 12, 2013




Dust
In Your
Eye.

A little over three weeks ago, a staff at the workplace offered me a promo of her very own “falsies” business.  “Falsies” is a short term for “false lashes”.  How can I resist a bargain which is a third of its trading price? I thought it was  something I will enjoy.  After all, I work hard.  I deserve such a treat.  At  least  my hubby thinks it’s “sexy”!  

Just yesterday,  I noticed the “falsies” are starting to fall off, one by one.  One got into my left eye.  It was the most agonizing feeling!  I had to shut the affected side as it felt like it was cutting into my eye’s surface!   The one effective trick I learned during  my youth and that is to take the speck out by burying the whole face in warm water. And while my face was in the state of complete submersion, I flicked my eyes open and close several times until the speck had been douched out.

This experience brought me to one of Jesus’ amazing “sermons in the Mount”.  Jesus reminded me that we often pass judgment on others to keep from examining our faults, shame and weaknesses.  Jesus emphasized that before we start removing someone else's sawdust, we had better get our own “blinding plank” out of the way. We spend so much time finding all the little things that are wrong with others while we ignore our own inconsistencies.  Too common, but true, am I right?

Matthew 7: 3-7 says, "Why do you notice the small piece of dust that is in your brother's eye, but you don't notice the big piece of wood that is in your own eye? Why do you say to your brother, 'Let me take that little piece of dust out of your eye'? Look at yourself first! You still have that big piece of wood in your own eye." You are a hypocrite!  First, take the wood out of your own eye. Then you will see clearly to take the dust out of your brother's eye.” (ERV)

I pray for the Almighty’s special anointing to convict me and produce in me a holy character and not find the faults of others to keep from dealing with my own.  I hope that is your prayer too.

Keep those eyes looking up, expectant of what God can do in your life today!

Color:  Ash

Video presentation of Jesus at the Mount:


No comments: